Tuesday 4 August 2009

Thanksgiving

I know my American friends have an annual celebration of thanksgiving because the Pilgrims held a special ceremony to give thanks to God for successfully surviving their first year after landing in Massachusetts.

I would like us to look at giving thanks in general because that is such an important part of life. I am not saying my American friends are insincere about their thanksgiving but the big problem with national holidays for whatever reason is that the original intention tends to get lost for most people in the hype surrounding the day and the commercial pressure applied to all.

It is so important I believe to say thank you for all that is done for us, whether it be by another person or by our God. I often receive messages from people in the spiritual world apologising that they did not say "thank you" while they were here. Now sometimes it is because they were too ill to do so but not always. I am sure you must know of people who have said to you how upset they are with themselves because they did not take the time to say "thank you" to a particular person before they died. We never know what tomorrow may hold, which is one of the exciting features of our life here on earth but it should teach us to try never to forget to express our thanks as soon as ever we can. Try never to put it off.

I know I have so much to be thankful for and I am sure you must be the same. I am grateful that after 75 years on earth I am still fit and well enough to travel to visit my friends in other countries and to serve the spirit. I am grateful to all my friends who never seem to tire of helping me in a thousand different ways and I am grateful also for the beauty I see all around me, for eyes with which to see it and for ears (imperfect thought they are now!) with which to hear the symphony of birdsong and insect humming that is all around and the loving words of my family and friends. I am so lucky to know love, happiness, joy - yes and sadness too - to feel all these emotions welling up in my heart and making me alive. Because of these emotions I vibrate to the music of life; I dance to the rhythm of creation. My family -those loved ones who I far too often take for granted, are a never ending source of the need for me to say "thank you".

I am so blessed and have a feeling that so are we all. In saying "thank you" to whoever, we are able to experience all over again, these many gifts given to us so freely. We should remember also that receiving thanks is something special too. Very few people perform actions in expectation of being thanked but it is always so good when the person you have helped does take the time to do so. It is all part of this wonderful experience of life on earth that we share - SHARING is the key. If we really do share our experiences and enjoy life's munificence in the company of others, it makes everything so much more poignant I believe. Giving thanks is part of that sharing experience and it helps us to stay together and continue to enjoy this wonderful life in the most marvelous company.

May God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bringing love, safety, friendship, encoragement and hope into my life.

    Silvana

    ReplyDelete