Monday 24 August 2009

ADVENTURE

As we become older, we tend to become less adventurous. This is understandable but it means we miss out on new experiences that could add years to our lives by peaking our interest and imagination. When we are young, all things seem like a big adventure and we enter into every new experience with our eyes wide and our awareness sharpened.

Touring the USA as I am just now, offers me a marvellous opportunity to break away from what I call my ‘maturing years conservatism’. Every day I am meeting new people and visiting new places. I am even experiencing some things for the first time! I am being stretched and challenged. It’s marvellous and I realise I am looking forward to each new day with greater eagerness. I recommend trying new things and undergoing new experiences to everyone, it makes you feel younger and I find it even makes me appreciate all the more the family, friends and things I do have.

I believe God intends us to anticipate each new day with eagerness and not with boredom or even a sense of dread. It is difficult to do this if we trap ourselves in an, albeit virtuous, circle we impose upon ourselves because we have become too comfortable and prefer to develop habits we do not have to think about than have to experience new things. Experiencing new things makes us uncomfortable. However, I believe such fear of change, for that is what it really is, is misplaced. Once we decide we will try something new, we restore our sense of adventure, we become younger in mind and that will have benefits for our body too. We also find there was nothing whatever to fear. Like all fears this one has more shadow than substance.

Try it! Resolve to look for opportunities to meet new people and experience new things. Don’t think “it is impossible because nothing new ever happens to me”. Once you decide you will do it, people and new experiences will flock around you. What’s more, you will feel so much better time will no longer hang on your hands and becoming interested means becoming interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment