Thursday 12 March 2009

What is Love?


Here is a poem I found in a little book called "Reasons Why." I think it is lovely. It was written by M.L. Bromfield. Enjoy, Lionel


At child stood at its mother's knee,
And in a voice so clear
He said, "Mother, what is love?
I do so want to hear,
We are told to love each other,
But I just don't understand,
I cannot see or hear it
Nor catch it in my hand."

The mother looked kindly on her child,
Whom she held very dear,
And told him very gently
The thing he wished to hear.
"Love isn't very hard to find,
It's around us every day.
It's in every single deed we do
At work, at home or play."

"For when you visit Grandma,
She greets you with a kiss
And gives you cakes and chocolate,
Which to you is bliss.
But she is trying to show you
How very much she cares,
And that's what love is all about,
An open heart that shares."

"It's in giving and receiving,
In thought and word and deed,
It's the helping hand to others
Whenever they're in need.
And when you meet a lonely soul
Who has lost someone so dear,
Give them a little of your time
And lend a kindly ear."

"And so my son, as you grow up,
And walk on life's highway,
I trust you'll keep the memory
Of what I've said today,
And you will truly be a man
Of whom God will be proud,
And I will too, because you see
You'll stand out in a crowd."

M.L. Bromfield

No comments:

Post a Comment