Tuesday 7 September 2010

Looking at Loss

Loss, particularly resulting from death, but also loss by physical separation, can be almost impossible for some of us to bear. The knowledge of two things can make it easier to bear I believe: 1) Knowledge that life is eternal, that the human personality and consciousness survives the change we call death. As one poet said, “We do not die, we cannot die; we only change our state of life.” 2) Knowledge that all life is part of all other life through the connecting silver chord of spirit. As Alexander Pope put it, “All are but parts of one stupendous whole, whose body nature is, and God the soul.”

Thus when we lose a loved one through death, they have not disappeared completely, they have merely moved into the next room. Their love for us is as great as ever and they will be waiting for us when the time comes for us also to take that final transition from earthly life. Where our loved one moves away but remains on Earth, we will continue to be linked together because love knows no boundaries, physical or otherwise. We are always linked through that love, which is of the spirit and not merely of the flesh. To those who love completely, there can never be separation, minds and souls link across the miles.

The verses that follow look at loss and the sadness that follows, in differing ways and I believe, can be a source of great comfort and certainty at times of sadness and inner emptiness. I hope you will find the same and feel able to pass some or all onto friends and loved ones in need.

In love and friendship,

Lionel


A Thousand Winds

Do not stand by my grave and weep,
for I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond’s glint on snow.

I am sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle Autumn’s rain.
When you awaken
in the morning’s hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush.

Of quiet birds in circle flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.


Always in Your Heart


Hush now, please don’t cry
There comes a time when we all die
Just take heed now that I’m at peace
And from my pain I have release.

I will always be watching over you
Our love will always be held true
Don’t you weep now, don’t you mourn
For my heart will then be torn.

Just remember the good times we shared
Knowing that we always cared
I’ve not gone away, we’ll never part
As I will always be in your heart.

Welcome Home


When I am gone, release me, let me go
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn’t tie yourselves to me with tears,
just be happy that we had some years.
I gave you my love, you can only guess
how much you gave to me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
but now it’s time I traveled on alone.
Do grieve a while for me if you must
then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part,
so keep our memories within your hearts.
I won’t be far away, for life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can’t see or touch me I’ll be near,
and if you listen with your heart you will hear,
All of my love around so soft and dear.
When you must come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and say
“Welcome Home”.


When I Must Leave You


When I must leave you
for a little while
Please do not grieve
and shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you
through the years
But start out bravely
with a gallant smile;
And for my sake and
in my name live on
and do all things the same,
Feed not your loneliness
on empty days,
But fill each waking hour
in useful ways,
Reach out your hand
in comfort and in cheer
And I in turn
will comfort you
and hold you near;
And never,
never be afraid to die,
For I am waiting
for you in the sky!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thank you & God bless you L.

    ReplyDelete