Monday 30 November 2009

The Mystery

I would like to share with you an experience I had one day when meditating. I hope you find it interesting and instructive:

The colours were amazing! Purple, pale-blue and yellow.
They hung like a cloud all around me – I was aware of nothing but colour. No form, no shape, no edges, no delineation whatsoever.

I should have been completely disoriented because there was nothing familiar or re-assuring in this scene. On the contrary, I was strangely comforted and at peace with myself, somehow I KNEW this was right, this was how it was meant to be. In the colours I knew I was at home, that here in this amorphous, multi-coloured cloud was everything I would ever need.

I knew this was the moment for which my spirit had ached since time forgotten.

Somehow I knew I was on the threshold of some immense discovery, as though this moment would be the culmination of my earthly purpose. Moment did I say? Although it was in reality only a moment it seemed to last an eternity. I was lost in this eternal moment – the moment in which I knew I was really going to find it: I was going to find that point of unison that blends the seen and unseen universes. The point I had searched long years and unsuccessfully for in the outer world.

Expecting a blinding flash of revelation as with Paul on the road to Damascus, I was disappointed. No blinding flash, just unutterable peace and tranquility, with the certainty that in this formless world of colour was all I needed to know. All I had to do was surrender, lose myself in the cloud and everything would be revealed. I had no doubts, no fears; no thoughts at all! It was as though I was all existence and no existence simultaneously. My brain; my heart; my soul; were all one with everything there is. I knew that separation is an illusion.

Humanity seeks to impose divisions. Seeking to understand the mystery of life, it compartmentalizes the natural world, examines each compartment in minute detail, not moving to the next until this one reveals all it can, thinking in this way to comprehend the mystery. Now, in this transcendental moment, I understood that the only way to even begin understanding the mystery was to become totally unaware of myself and surrender to the immensity and majesty of the whole.

The mystery of life is beyond the finite, yet reaching the heart of it is so simple. Why oh why must we complicate everything? Surrender conscious thought, allow your brain, heart and soul to become one; don’t think, just FEEL. In the companionable emptiness of your inner peace: There will you find the answer to life’s mystery.

1 comment:

  1. "...I knew that separation is an illusion." Lionel --Yes, indeed! Bless you for sharing your "eternal moment" of "Divine" colour and JOY. You have made my day.... in Gratitude
    Always ~ Deborah

    ReplyDelete