Saturday 25 April 2009

The Gift by Lionel Owen

Here is a chapter from The Gift, where Robert, the central character, shares the knowledge of his 'gift' with his sister.

Chapter 11 – Val Learns Rob’s Secret


In the meantime, Joan and Albert’s nervousness was increasing as they drew closer to their home. What would they find? Would it be safe to go in? How deep was the water in the cellar? They asked these and other questions to one another as they passed the scenes of devastation in the upper part of Sefton Road.

They were in for a surprise when they reached home. A fire engine was already pumping water from the cellar.

“Thank God!” said Albert.

Just then a man in brown overalls came up to Albert and said, “Mr Jones?”

When Albert nodded, he continued, “My name is Stephens, I’m a glazier and have been sent by the Council to see about repairing your broken windows and doors. I just need your signature, please, on this Bomb Damage Commission form.”

Luke had told Albert the bomb damage people were efficient but he still found it difficult to believe they acted this quickly. The glazier could see the surprise on his face,

“We try to give priority to houses that are not too badly damaged,” he said, “and especially where there are children involved.”

“I’m most grateful to you and your superiors. You’ve already made my wife and I feel much more optimistic.

“With luck, we’ll be able to work all day today and tomorrow morning. By tomorrow afternoon the house should be ready for you to move back in, provided the fire brigade is happy about the cellar.”

Joan and Albert realised they would only get in the way if they remained so decided to return to Velma’s house. Before leaving, Albert had a word with one of the firemen and arranged to return later that afternoon. By then, the fireman said, they should have pumped out all the water and be able to assess when it would be safe for the family to move back.

Having peeled the potatoes, Valerie and Robert were in the front room but their minds were not on their game. Robert had refused to say anymore about their mother while they were in the kitchen.

“Are you scared, Rob?”

“Scared of what?”

“Being evacuated, silly. We’ll be miles away from Mum and Dad and living with strangers. I know I’m going to hate it.”

“I think it’ll be nice on a farm with all the animals and Mammy says we’ll be alright. You might get better there, too.”

“There you go again. How can you say that, Rob? You never knew Mammy, she died when you were a baby.”

“She comes to talk to me when I’m scared of anything. She’s beautiful, she dresses all in white.”

“You actually see her?”

Robert nodded.

“Weird!”

“Honest, Val, she does talk to me and I believe what she says. She’s always been right. She even brought Jim to speak to me yesterday.”

“Your friend that died in the air raid? That must have been scary.”

“Of course not, silly. She’s kind and gentle and she’s our mother.”

“Did she really tell you a Mrs Thomas would be looking after you in Wales?”
“Yes, and she said Mrs Thomas would be like a mother to me.”

“Am I going to be with you, Rob?”

“I don’t know, Val, she didn’t say.”

“Will you ask her next time she comes?”

“Alright.”

“What else did she tell you?”

“She showed herself as she was when she was young and asked me to tell Dad what she was wearing and the writing on her ring.”

“Did you tell Dad?”

“Of course. I do everything Mammy asks me.”

“What did he say? Did he think you were crazy?”

“No, he didn’t think I was crazy. He said I was special but I mustn’t tell people about it ’cause they wouldn’t understand. He cried when I told him about the ring.”

“Dad cried? I don’t believe it.”

“He did, honest! He said he’d given Mammy that ring and the writing was her name before they got married.”

“Val, you won’t tell Mum or anyone about me seeing Mammy, will you?”

“Maybe I will, maybe I won’t.”

“Oh Val, don’t be rotten. Unless you promise not to tell, I won’t ask her if we’re going to stay together in Wales.”

“I won’t tell, stupid. I was only teasing. Can you ask her to come and speak to you?”

“No. She just appears.”

“Why don’t you try asking her to come? Now!”

“I can’t, Val. I don’t know what to say.”

“Go on, Rob, please. You’re mean if you don’t. Just say, ‘Mammy what about Val?’”

Just then Robert saw Elisabeth. She was standing by the piano on the far side of the room smiling at the two children. She seemed solid today and he felt that if he reached out his hand he could touch her.

“There she is, Val. Can’t you see her? She’s by the piano. She’s all in white and looking right at you. You must be able to see her. You’re scared!”

“I can’t see her. Rob, honest, but I’m not scared. Is she saying anything?”

“Just a minute. Yes, she says we are both to be very good because Mum and Dad have a lot to do to get us ready to leave on Wednesday.”

“Ask her about where I’ll be staying!”

“She says we’re not to be frightened. She’s going to look after us.”

“What about me, Rob?”

“Hold on. Give me a chance! “

“Please, Rob.”

“Mammy says we won’t be together. The people only have room for one of us. There are two other girls where you’ll be. The name of your farm and mine both begin the same. I think she said it was Pen something. It’s a good place and will help you get better.”

“That’s a funny name for a place. It sounds like we’ll be shut in like animals. Oh Rob, I’m more scared now I know we’re not going to be together.”

Robert held his sister’s hands. “Mammy says, don’t worry. It’ll be all right. You and those girls will be big friends.”

Valerie still seemed unconvinced.

“She says she has to go now but she’s going to give you a kiss. Try to feel it, she says.”

Valerie’s eyes were shining even though they were filled with tears.

“I felt it Rob, I felt it! She kissed me. I‘m not afraid anymore. Thank you, Mammy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment